1. AIRPLANE TICKET TO BOGOTA, COLOMBIA.
- Suggested travel dates: June 13th to June 27th (remember we might have some optional architecture tours and events in Bogotá (on the 12th and 13th)
- There are several airlines that fly to Colombia. Following is a list of airlines that we know offer good prices: Avianca/Taca, Delta, American Airlines, United, Continental, Jet Blue.
- Things you to have in mind:
- Bogotá’s international airport is called EL DORADO
- Tickets tend to go up on price starting early May.
- Workshop dates: June 15 – June 25, 2012
- BUILDING LOCAL will offer transportation from Bogotá to Barichara, on Thursday June 14, 2012 in the early morning.
- No transportation will be provided to return to Bogotá but BUILDING LOCAL can help you arrange your return upon arrival.(SEE LODGING IN BARICHARA)
- BUILDING LOCAL will NOT provide lodging in Bogotá –but we will provide some options (SEE IN BOGOTA).
2. HEALTH INSURANCE
BUILDING LOCAL requires a certification of this coverage. If you haven’t done so yet, please check with your Health Insurance provider about International coverage.
3. VISA REQUIREMENTS
U.S. Citizens traveling to Colombia do not need a Colombian visa for a tourist staying 60 days or less. If you have another nationality please check with the Colombian Consulate to see if you are required to have a visa.
The currency exchange is around 1800 Colombian Pesos for 1 US Dollar.
Bogotá has many banks and ATMS (try to use the ones inside malls or banks), or you can exchange money at the airport, or exchange kiosks (CASA DE CAMBIOS) located in some of the malls as well).
EXCHANGING MONEY: If you are exchanging Dollars, we recommend you exchange around $200 Dollars > close to $350 000 pesos (thinking you will use about 30 000 Pesos/Day for food and drinks- not taking account any additional or purchases, gifts you might want to acquire, or additional visits you might want to make). There are no exchange kiosks in Barichara.
TAKING OUT MONEY: There are a couple of ATMs in Barichara where you will be able to take out money need be the case.
Barichara is also 30 min away from San Gil, a larger city where you might be able to find more ATMs and Exchange Kiosks as well.
5. CELL PHONES
You can buy a SIM card for an unblocked phone, or buy $20 phones at main cell phone provider stores, such as Comcel and Movistar.
Remember we can help you get a cheap cell phone ($20 Dollars) if you let us know by May 30th– you still need to purchase the prepaid minutes yourself.
Barichara’s climate ranges from temperatures between 19 Celsius (65F) and 28 Celsius (82F)-usually evenings and nights are cooler.
Please bring clothes accordingly: Shorts and T-shirts during the day. Jeans, shirts and a light sweater are fine at night.
Bogotá’s climate is colder so it is important that you bring a couple of extra layers for the hours or days you’ll be there. A raincoat might also be helpful.
Construction clothes (remember you WILL get dirty!):
- Light Pants or shorts
- Solid Shoes (preferably boots –hiking boots can do)
- Light and long sleeve shirts (as you might want to cover your arms from the sun).
- HATS (you will also find a variety of hats at excellent prices in Barichara)
- Thermos (hydration is essential- we will have a cooler handy on site, but we ask of each participant to bring their own thermoses so we are not reliant on plastic cups).
- Comfortable socks!
7. TRANSPORTATION: BOGOTA-BARICHARA
Please be at the following address at 8:00AM on June 14th, 2012:
CRA 8 #75-97 (corner of 76 street and 8th avenue). The mini-van will leave promptly for Barichara (we will hand out snacks and drinks, and the mini-van will stop at rest stops and a restaurant for the option of purchasing lunch).
IMPORTANT: Although most you have sent scanned versions, please bring and present a copy of your HEALTH INSURANCE/international coverage- as you board the minivan.
8. IN BOGOTA
TRANSPORTATION FROM BOGOTA’S INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT:
Once you arrive in Bogotá, be sure to take a registered TAXI from the airport- DO NOT take a taxi from the street.
There is a registered taxi kiosk in the airport, where they will give you a fixed price and will assign a car to you.
LODGING IN BOGOTA:
BUILDING LOCAL will NOT provide lodging in Bogotá.
- There are plenty of options for accommodations in Bogota. You can find almost every major world-renowned hotel chain here (Marriot, Sofitel, etc.). Hostels abound, apartments can be rented, and there are great options for boutique hotels.
- Browse through the selection of Your Bogotá to find some inexpensive and good lodging options.
- This is a recommended hotel- also near the departure location for the trip Bogota-Barichara: http://www.casonadelpatio.com/en/
RECOMMENDED ARCHITECTURE TOURS IN BOGOTA:
- WORKS BY ROGELIO SALMONA
Telephones: 011 (571) 283 64 13 – 011 (571) 341 66 29
- BICYCLE TOUR CANDELARIA
- GENERAL TOUR OF BOGOTÁ (Monserrate, Candelaria, Museo Botero, Museo del Oro, Museo Nacional, Bibliotecas, Andres DC)
Hotels usually offer these types of tours and services and they are probably the best bets…
You might want to contact each other to see if there is more interest amongst the group.
TRANSPORTATION WITHIN BOGOTA:
Taxis are abundant in the city, and are quite inexpensive. You should always try calling a taxi company rather than taking a taxi from the street- particularly at night (3111111, 2111111, 4111111 are some possible telephone numbers- you can ask in your hotel for options).
The bus system can be confusing, but there is always Transmilenio, which traverses the City North-South)
Bogotá is a big city and as in every big city, there is petty crime, so be wary of your handbag and belongings
Also, try to restrict your walking at night- there are certain areas where it is fine to walk (primarily in the north of the city: the ‘Zona T’ for example is an area full of restaurants, cafes and bars were you will always see a crowd)
SOME OTHER RESOURCES
9. LODGING IN BARICHARA:
Lodging in Barichara will be covered by BUILDING LOCAL from the night of June 14th, 2012 to the night of June 24th, 2012. If you want to stay in the hotel after June 25th , you should contact the hotel ASAP in order to negotiate the price and make the necessary arrangements (as BUILDING LOCAL is getting a very special price for the lodging).
Although the hotel does NOT provide internet, don’t worry there are other options (cafes and hotels) in Barichara that do…
10. EMERGENCY CONTACT NUMBERS IN COLOMBIA:
Maria Carrizosa cel: 300-8802490 tel: 57-1 -2134241
Nina Sertich: cel: 320-345 6071 tel: 57-1-346 3126